Happy first day of school to all of my fellow English teachers in Korea!
So here we go again.
The school bell song played at 8:15. (Just hearing it takes me straight back to my first day here.) There was a thunder of footsteps and shouting in the halls, then 30 minutes of relative silence as they were corralled into their homerooms, and now they’ve been set free again to roam the halls. At least for another 10 minutes.
It just so happens that I don’t have to teach any classes today, because the kids don’t have any morning class, and only the 2nd and 3rd graders have afternoon class but I normally won’t teach 2nd and 3rd grade in the afternoon. Which means I will be sitting at my desk – but that’s fine, because it gives me time to check in with my coteachers about what the heck is going on this semester. Lord knows I haven’t been given anything but the bare bones of information thus far regarding my schedule and upcoming events.
Through a little snooping of my own (you have to take the initiative for these kinds of things) I found today’s Order of Events on the school website. Ran that through Google Translate, and here’s what I’ve got:
8:20 to 8:30: Class of check-in promotion
8: 30-8: 50: (Congregation) ceremony schedule, weekly training plan, a temporary timetable
9:00 to 9:45
● 2, 3 grade homeroom Introduction – Sympathetic
● HR, class check myeongryeol
● Clean the charge of assignments, classroom clean
9:45 to 9:50: Go to the Auditorium
10:00 to 10:30: Entrance Preparation (large, personnel, sworn)
10:30 to 11:30: Ceremony
1. Dog Meal
2. National rite
3. Bachelor reported
4. Declaration of Acceptance
5. freshmen oath
6. Principal Welcoming Remarks
7. guests barn
8. Teachers transference (sympathetic)
9. About faculty – assistant, administrative implementation (the principal) – Director, teacher (assistant)
10. Personnel freshmen students
11. The proposed school song
12. Waste meal
11:10 to 11:20: Go to the classroom (first grade after attending a school teacher guide the corners with the children admitted)
11:20 to 11:55: Classroom time
– 1 year classroom management Sharing
– Writing personal statement
– Seat assignments, locker assignments, timetables guide
– Textbooks, school supplies, writing the name, workbooks maintenance, slippers using map
– Determine brand personality 1 1 class
– Volunteer helpers such as deciding
12:30 to 1:20: Lunch
1:20 to 3:00: Student Orientation (Audio-visual); Normal classes (classroom curriculum); Senior Curriculum entrance
3:10 to 3:55: Cleanup (1 volunteer)
3:55 ~ : jongrye and school map
Dog meals, guest barns, and jongryes aside, a few things are clear here.
One, I should go to the auditorium by 10:30 to watch the opening ceremony (and chances are I’ll have to get up on stage with the rest of the English department and greet the students with a bow).
Two, we’re having lunch at 12:30.
As far as I’m concerned, that’s all the information I need.